Price of admission: Voluntary, although 25 kc is recommended
- March -December: Tu – Sa: 10.00 – 13.00 and 15.00 – 17.00, Su 10.00 – 12.00
- January – February: We 17.00 – 18.30, Th 10.00 – 12.00, 17.00 – 18.30, Fr 10.00- 12.00, 14.30 -16.00, Sa, Su 10.00 – 12.00
Events: Occasional classical concerts. Prices for these may vary. Masses are also held by the Catholic church
September – June:
- Tu – Th 18.00
- Fr 15.00
- Sa 8.00
- Su 9.30 a 21.00
- Mo – Fr 12.15
- Sa 8.00
- Su 9.30
When most people come to visit Prague, the first place they usually go to visit is the Old Town Square (Staroměstské náměstí). This is because of the world famous Astronomical Clock (Orloj) that dates back to 1410. However, it is impossible to miss the massive two towers of the Church of Our Lady before Týn (Týnský chrám) looming over the square. This church compliments the astronomical clock magnificently, becoming almost as iconic as the clock itself. It also acts as a great reference point for those who are lost walking around the city.
The original church was built for merchants who would come to the Týn court in the 11th century. In 1256, a gothic church replaced the original romanesque. Then during the reign of Charles IV, as he was “updating” Prague, a new church began to be built in its place in 1350. This “new” church is the one that we are all familiar with today. Its architects were Petr Parléř (aka Peter Parler) and Matthias of Arras, both who achieved fame for their work on the St. Vitus Cathedral. Petr Parléř was also responsible for building the Charles Bridge.
However, during the Hussite Wars in 1420, construction halted. Almost everything was completed except for the towers and the gable roof. In 1450, the roof was completed. Then during the reign of the elected king Jiří z Poděbrad, the high central gable was completed with a statue of him holding a chalice. This was a symbol used by the Hussites, as one of their differences between the catholic churches was they believed that the drinking of wine from the chalice during communion was meant for everyone, not just the priest. In 1673 an organ was built Johann Heinrich Mundt. Today it is the oldest organ in Prague. Finally in 1511, the towers were completed.
For two centuries the church was under Hussite control. Hussite preachers would preach from the pulpit, railing on the sins of the Catholic church. However, after the Battle of White Mountain in 1620, the Catholics took over the church. They replaced the statue of Jiří z Poděbrad and the chalice with the Virgin Mary, her golden halo being cast from the chalice the Hussite king had been holding. The interior was also renovated into the Baroque fashion. This was due to lightning striking the church, burning down the original vault.
Today, the church is an important place in Prague. Important people like the Hussite archbishop of Prague Jan Rokycana (aka John of Rokycany) and Danish astronomer/astrologer/alchemist Tycho Brahe are both buried in the church. Allegedly Walt Disney was impressed by the towers of Týnský chrám, and used them as inspiration for Maleficent’s castle in Disney’s Sleeping Beauty.
Just for fun, here is the opening scene to xXx starring Vin Diesel, where you can see the Týnský chrám in the background. Featuring the song "Feuer Frei" by Rammstein.
You can also see it here in the music video for Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat's song "Lucky."
Feel free to share any videos that have Týnský chrám in them.